Welcome to Global Fishing Watch’s Data and Open Source Code Website
This website is your portal for the datasets and code that power Global Fishing Watch, an NGO dedicated to creating transparency in the commercial fishing industry. Learn more at globalfishingwatch.org.
Papers by Global Fishing Watch and Research Partners
- E. Sala, J. Mayorga, C. Costello, D. Kroodsma, M.L.D. Palomares, D. Pauly, U.R. Sumaila, D. Zeller. The Economics of High Seas Fishing. 2018. Science Advances. June 1, 2018. Read paper
- Dunn, DC, C Jablonicky, GO Crespo, DJ McCauley, DA Kroodsma, K Boerder, KM Gjerde, PN Halpin. Empowering High Seas Governance with Satellite Vessel Tracking Data. Fish and Fisheries. April 19, 2018. Read paper.
- Cabral, RB, J Mayorga, M Clemence, J Lynham, S Koeshendrajana, U Muawanah, D Nugroho, Z Anna, Mira, A Ghofar, N Zulbainarni, S Gaines, C Costello. Rapid and lasting gains from solving illegal fishing. Nature Ecology and Evolution. February 13, 2018. Read paper
- Kroodsma, DA, J Mayorga, T Hochberg, NA Miller, K Boerder, F Ferretti, A Wilson, B Bergman,TD White, BA Block, P Woods, B Sullivan, C Costello, B Worm. Tracking the Global Footprint of Fisheries. 2018. Science. February 22, 2018. Paper summary - GitHub Repo - Read paper
- White, TD, AB Carlisle, DA Kroodsma, BA Block, R Casagrandi, GD De Leo, M Gatto, F. Micheli, DJ McCauley. Assessing the effectiveness of a large marine protected area for reef shark conservation. Biological Conservation. 207: 64–71. Read paper - Blog entry
- Kroodsma, DA, Sullivan B. Protecting Marine World Heritage from space. 2016. The Future of the World Heritage Convention for marine conservation: celebrating 10 years of the World Heritage Marine Programme 35-48. Read paper
- Kroodsma, DA, NA Miller, A Roan. 2017. The Global View of Transshipment: Revised Preliminary Findings. Global Fishing Watch, SkyTruth. Blog entry - Read paper
- Jablonicky, C, D McCauley, D Kroodsma, K Boerder, D Dunn. 2016. Satellite tracking to monitor area-based management tools & identify governance gaps in fisheries beyond national jurisdiction. Policy Brief. Nereus Program. Read paper
- Robards, MD, GK Silber, JD Adams, J Arroyo, D Lorenzini, K Schwehr, J Amos. 2016. Conservation science and policy applications of the marine vessel Automatic Identification System (AIS)—a review. Bulletin of Marine Science. 92: 75–103. Read paper
- de Souza, EN, K Boerder, S Matwin, B Worm. 2016. Improving Fishing Pattern Detection from Satellite AIS Using Data Mining and Machine Learning. PLOS ONE. 11, e0158248. Read paper - Blog entry
- McCauley, DJ, P Woods, B Sullivan, B Bergman, C Jablonicky, A Roan, M Hirshfield, K Boerder, B Worm. 2016. Ending hide and Seek at Sea. Science 351: 1148-1150. Read paper - GitHub repo - Blog entry